New semester, new year! As a college student, I know food choices often revolve around convenience and money and sometimes, the whole bag of chips just needs to be eaten. In case you ever feel like whipping up something on your own, here 3 ideas to common college staples turned healthy:
Craving: Kraft Mac & Cheese = 400 calories/serving (Trust me, I was shocked that a box isn’t a serving too)
Substitute: Cheesy noodles = 315 calories
- 2 oz. Barilla Veggie noodles: 200 calories
- 1 tbsp. Brummel & Brown: 45 calories
- 2 tbsp. Parmesan Cheese: 20 calories
- Sprinkle of shredded cheese: 50 calories
I like using the veggie noodles because you are getting some vegetables in with your pasta! You can feel free to substitute whole wheat pasta (same calorie count). Just boil your noodles and drain, then add your Brummel & Brown and cheeses. Stir together and enjoy!
Craving: Ben & Jerry’s Chunky Monkey = 300 calories for 1/4 a cup
Substitute: Banana soft serve = 120 calories
- 1 frozen banana: 105 calories
- Splash of low fat milk: 15 calories
- (Optional) 1 tbsp. dark chocolate chips: 70 calories
- (Optional) 1tbsp. whip cream: 10 calories
When your bananas are getting a little too brown, peel them, put them in a plastic bag, and throw them in the freezer. When you want your ice cream, take one out and let it thaw for about 10-15 mins. With a fork, mash it up and add milk as needed. It takes some arm muscle but keep working at it and it will eventually turn into the constancy of soft serve. Eat it plain for half the calories or treat yourself and top it off with some dark chocolate chips and whip cream!
Craving: Pizza = 200 calories/slice
Substitute: Pizza Quesedilla = 245 calories
- 1 Mission Foods 8″ Low Carb Flour Tortillas: 110 calories
- 1/4 cup Pizza Blend Shredded Cheese: 100 calories
- 1/4 cup Pasta Sauce: 35 calories
Nicole, you’re “healthy” alternative has more calories! Numbers aren’t everything. Without the grease, your stomach won’t feel upset and the good ingredients in the quesedilla will fill you up more. I normally make two of these for a meal, one for a snack. Just put you tortilla on a pan over medium heat with sauce and cheese until the top is melted and enjoy!