Welcome to a blog post filled with TMI. You’ve been warned…
Over the summer, I started reading up on females and face shaving as I grew increasingly self conscious about my peach fuzz. The hair on my upper lip was always stubborn and my sensitive skin did not appreciate hair removing creams or gels. I waxed my upper lip once and after that painful experience, I decided to pass on ever doing it again. Guys shave, so why not us gals? I started doing my research.
In June, I came across a New York Times article about Kate Somerville, skincare extraordinaire, and her take on women shaving their face. Kate Somerville says that she has been shaving for over 20 years and many of her celebrity clients shave their faces as well. The article gave me a lot to think about but I wasn’t ready to commit. In July, Kirbie from POPSUGAR really sealed the deal for me with her YouTube video, Why I Shave My Face. With that, I went to Sally Beauty and bought a pack of single blade facial razors.
The first time I shaved, I was shocked at the amount of hair on that tiny razor. I was grossed out and intrigued all at once. I couldn’t believe all of that had been on my face, and I had only done half. Two days later, I saw my sister, and as all good sisters do, she mocked me. I’m the one laughing now with my baby smooth skin. With my announcement and newfound sense confidence, I told everyone I could and found out that my sister-in-law also shaves. Maybe I’m only noticing now that I shave, but I feel like in recent months it’s become more of a thing!
Here’s why I like shaving my face:
- My makeup goes on 10x smoother
- My skin looks brighter
- It exfoliates
- I’m not self conscious about my peach fuzz anymore
I wanted to give this a go for awhile and now after 6-7 months of shaving, I finally feel like I have my routine down. This is what I do. I can’t say this is the “right way” or the best way, but this is what works for me.
1. I like to shave at night. I shave every other week or so, mainly when I feel like it’s time. I take off all of my makeup, cleanse, and then exfoliate.
2. While my skin is still slightly damp, I go in and shave.
3. I like to use the Bella Beauty Eyebrow Razors. I find mine at TJ Maxx/Marshalls. I have found these are my favorite because they are large and get the job done quickly. They also seem like the closest shave.
4. I like to start with my cheeks. I pull my skin town gently and work in small sections going down. I use the same technique on my upper lip, chin, and forehead. I go down my jawline as well. These are also great for quick brow touch ups if you don’t want to tweeze/wax.
5. I finish up with toner and then go in with my nighttime skincare routine, which I will be posting on Friday!
Questions I’ve been asked:
Q: Doesn’t it grow back thick and dark?
A: Nope. Same ‘ole peach fuzz
Q: Have you cut yourself?
A: Not yet
Q: Can you stop?
A: Sure. Your peach fuzz will grow back but you can choose to let it go again for the next X amount of years like before you started shaving.
Q: Aren’t you annoyed having to shave another body part?
A: No, because I love skincare and it only takes a minute. Takes much longer than a minute to shave your legs. That’s a process.
So, that’s it! I shave my face! Do you shave your face? Have you thought about it? I’d love to know! xoxo