I’ve been blogging for a year now and I want to share 5 tips to help you become a better blogger or start blogging if you’ve ever been curious.
- Know your audience: Who are you writing for? I know everyone from my Grandma to 13 year old girls read my blog but I have (mainly) one common theme: Makeup. I’m writing for those who love makeup but not Makeup Artists or professionals.
- Quality over Quantity: This rule is true in most cases but especially with blogging. The goal is to pack maximum information in a minimum amount of words while still maintaining readability.
- Find your form: If you’re taking colorful pictures of makeup, you don’t want a bright page layout. It’s distracting. In the actual content of your writing, use numbers and bullet points to add space to make it easy for your readers to scan.
- Network your work: Pick your favorite social media outlet and attack. Keep your blog separate from your personal pages (I post to my personal Facebook on occasion…for example, with this post that appeals to more people). Instagram is my favorite platform for makeup and is the place I am most active in social media. While it’s embarrassing, #hashtag the crap out of your pictures – it’s how other people and companies find you.
- Picture Perfect: Take nice pictures. You don’t need to run out and buy a fancy Nikon or Cannon – I take all of my pictures on my phone. I am going to have a Part II post coming on Thursday with 5 tips on taking better photos.
I hope that these few tricks help you in your blogging ventures!
Questions? Let’s get talking down below. If I can’t help, maybe someone else can!