I have worked as a hostess for 2 years, but serving was a whole new bag of worms. I salute you, fellow servers. Here is what I’m taking away from my experience:
1. Your bladder holds more than you think it does
2. Sometimes, no matter how hard you try, people are difficult assholes who cannot be pleased
3. “I want a red wine” is like saying “I want a red shirt.” You do realize how many types of shirts there are, correct? Talk something up enough, and they’ll jump on board.
4. Those terrible “no slip” shoes made for servers are the most uncomfortable shoes ever
5. The definition of sweat is serving in an all black polyester uniform outside in the middle of July
6. Sometimes having a drink after work is just, necessary
7. People with extra special orders have an extra special place in Hell (and if not Hell, definitely Purgatory)
8. People still struggle to remember that two places in the world are always guaranteed to be cold: restaurants and movie theaters. Bring a sweater.
9. Awe you know the owner’s name? Good for you!
10. One nice customer really can make your day
PSA: Be nice to the people bringing you your food